Monday, July 14, 2008

Hit A Brick Wall


Here I was writing away, enjoying my stories, jumping from one to another everyone doing what they were suppose to do. Well everyone except their pair on the kitchen table (but that story really belongs to Sandra Carrington). So I’m writing, getting the words on paper or computer or both when WHAM BAM I hit the wall, SPLAT I hit the ground, and that is where I have been for the last couple of days. Yesterday I read over some of my work and decided I hated it all. So I shut the file down and ignored the urge to re-open it and write something, anything. No that would be a mistake.
So I’m taking a week off, well five days really. It’s school holidays here in NSW, I have my grandson for a few days again this week so I think I’ll spend the time with him, painting, walking and cooking. We can make a lot of mess cooking and painting for that matter. Then come the weekend I’ll write again, I’ve entered another challenge over at Kiwi Writers, this is 2,000 in two or three days and you have to write about something you don’t normally write about. If I can get over, through or around this brick wall, I’m going to write my opening to a book I want to write about my Mum and Auntie Mary.
They are writing down their memories about their childhood. It was an exercise I set my Mum to keep her thinking and give her something to do with her time other than just watch the television. I told her if she wrote down all she could remember about her childhood I’d write a book about it. I love listening to the pair of them talking about their lives, the hardship they went through, yet they had a great family life. They were close, and still are today. Two grey haired old ladies who are thankful they have each other still and can share so much. I’ll keep you posted on my story about them.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh I can't wait to read their story Sandie!! I seem to attract lovely elderly people when I am on the train, and in 40 minutes often hear their life stories... so fascinating, I could sit and listen for hours!!

Enjoy the freedom that comes with "playing" with your Grandson!

Amanda xx

Cathryn Hein said...

Sometimes you need a break to gain perspective, Sandie. Enjoy your time with your grandson and then on the weekend go and read back over your work and realise what a literary genius you really are!

Such a fabulous idea with your mother and aunt. I did a similar thing with my grandmother, only as she's blind, I made her put it all on tape. Its nice to hear her story told in her own voice.

Cathryn

Devon Gray said...

The initial impact of that wall is painful, isn't it?! I had a similar situation last week so I decided to put it all aside for a few days. My editor is encouraging me to rewrite my single title. I'm planning on starting that today. It is such a big project and I am SCARED! Oh well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? After your brief hiatus I am sure you will come back and all your characters will cooperate.

Annie Doyle said...

Aah the wall, I am still behind it my dear friend.
We are heading off camping for a few days and I am coming out from behind mine. It's been a long time coming.
While away I'm planning to do quite a bit of background stuff so the time will be fruitful.
Enjoy your break, enjoy nature, those other things you loved to do before the writing began, enjoy you grandson, then get back on the horse!!! (you know what I mean) Today I decided that mine is a donkey. He is a beast of burden and quite stable really, all be it rebellious at times!!! LOL
Regards Annie

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Enjoy your break Sandie. Brick walls can be knocked down.

All the best,
Suz:)