Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mind over Matter

I’ve hit the 25K mark for NaNoWriMo, YAY. Unfortunately I’ve also hit the midway stumbling block. I spent most of today doing anything I could on the computer except write. Well except for 581 words. Better than nothing, yes, but not near enough, or anywhere near what I have been doing.

Here’s the thing, it happens every challenge. I get so far along, either in word count or in days/weeks and I hit the wall. Slow right down for a few days and then I’m right again, ready to write up a storm. Today I started thinking this is crazy, I expect it, I am convincing myself this is going to happen and of course it does. Mind over Matter. I am training my mind to believe this is how it should be, instead of fighting my way through it, pushing myself that little bit harder. So here I sit complaining about not being able to write, yet I’m writing this blog. I wrote my report for RWAustralia web team and my job description thingy. (Mind you these should have been done over a week ago.) Why can’t I write more on my story. I’ve opened the file twice and nothing! Not a thing, it’s like the characters have gone to bed and turned off the lights. Not even CC’s characters are coming out to play. I might have an early night and start fresh tomorrow, that may help.

I’m ‘Not happy Jan.’

Sandie

5 comments:

Jenn J McLeod - Australia's small town storyteller said...

I totally understand this. The only thing to do is take a break. I find when I force myself to sit and type it's usually crap. Maybe take Lynda Barry's Nano pep talk and go somewhere nice with a pad and pen and just sit. I reckon where you live there are plenty of inspirational nooks or views. Just one look at a new foal frolisking would inspire me (but then, as you know, I have been having a horse whisperer moment lately- LOL. Good luck. Keep going. We are neck and neck. Giddy up!

Shayne said...

I admire you for doing it. And 25 k is bloody amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I got that far I'd fly off to a tropical island to celebrate.

But push through it Sandie.

Shayne

Cathryn Hein said...

You'll be right, Sandie, I'm sure. Try Jenn's advice and write somewhere different. It can sometimes help.

And 25K is a fantastic total.

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Hi Sandie,
I've done the same. lol.. I walked away after 1.000 words this morning for four hours came back and did another 1.000 but its Nora Roberts quote, 'It's crap honey, all crap. Until I come back and fix it.'
I don't think I have enough internal conflict or sustaining internal conflict to carry the story through to the end. So I've been going through the synopsis and I have a few more ideas. But usually I sail through, not this year. Ho Hum. :)
Good luck to both of us. :) Your'e word count is amazing. Good on you!

Becky said...

I run into this problem a lot too. I sometimes feel like giving up. However I have learned if I take a break, things get easier. I have also used some mind over matter techniques in a great book titled, "The Intention Experiment" by Lynne McTaggart. I have learned how to train my brain to tell myself I can accomplish something (whatever it may be), and it really does work. Good luck.