Monday, December 22, 2008

Australia the Movie

Review on ‘AUSTRALIA’

Hubby and I went to see Australia last week and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, from start to finish. My emotions ran from laughter to tears, joy to sadness, it had it all. Personally, I thought Buz Luhrmann did a fantastic job with the film not that I should be surprised. Buz has a unique gift when directing films.


Nicole Kidman’s portrayal of Lady Sarah Ashley was wonderful. I was in fits of laughter with the scene where she meets The Drover for the first time. Now I freely admit I’m a big Nicole fan, I have been since I saw her in ‘Malice’ (which by the way she was brilliant in). But back to ‘Australia’, I loved watching how Lady Sarah changed as she adapted to her new surroundings and the people in her life. One of my favourite scenes was when she tried to sign ‘Over the Rainbow’ to Nullah, cracked me up, LOL.



As for Hugh Jackman, well what can I say put ‘Oh, my God what a body.’ Okay that is a very sexist remark, (sorry Hugh). In truth, Hugh pulled the role of The Drover off so well, (I really don’t think Russell Crowe would have had the same appeal). Hugh is all we as romance writers want in a hero. Is it little wonder he is used as a pin-up for hero material and inspiration?


The rest of the cast were great as well. Bryan Brown, as King Carney king of the outback, fabulous, David Wenham, as Neil Fletcher the nasty and crocked overseer, outstanding, and Jack Thompson as Kipling the alcoholic accountant another standout performance.



Of course, I can’t leave out young Brandon Walters as the young aboriginal boy Nullah who narrates most of the film; he is one young actor to keep an eye out for. All the reviews have praised this young boy and they are all well founded.



I loved this film and I’m looking forward to it coming out on DVD so I can buy it, I have a feeling it will be one I watch quite a few times. I’d give it 4 ½ stars. My hubby enjoyed it and is recommending it to friends as a great movie to see. Try it you may be pleasantly surprised.

Sandie

7 comments:

Diane said...

Good review Sandie. Not sure why Brandon hasn't had a nomination yet but we'll make up for it at the next AFI awards.

I just could've done without all the boring ads that preceded the movie.

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

I loved the movie as well Sandie, I thought it was so great. And I, like you will be buying the dvd.

I came by to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year... It's been quite a year hasn't it.

Take care,
Suz :)

Mon Wood said...

Great review!

You know what I thought - Huge Hugh and all!

Merry Xmas to you and your family :-)

Sussan Marz said...

Thanks for the review. I haven't gotten round to seeing the movie yet.

Also, wishing you a Merry Christmas and will hopefully be back online more often at the beginning of the New Year!

Sandie Hudson said...

Thanks for stopping by and reading my review ladies.

Sussan lovely to see you back. I'll look forward to catching up with you more in the new year.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Sandie

Alison Stuart said...

Oh Sandie, I have to disagree! It bored my socks off...I was looking at my watch after an hour and wondering how it was going to end! I thought Nicole Kidman looked (and acted) like a plastic mannequin, even my beloved Hugh J. looked as if he was going through the motions. It lacked a clear plot arc, real emotional tension and three dimensional characters...all David Wenham needed was a twirly moustache and a red lined cape to make him into a classic villain. Was it an epic, a romance, a drama, a comedy? It was as if Baz couldn't quite decide so he threw the whole lot in! I was sooooo disappointed!

Sandie Hudson said...

That is what makes us individuals Alison, what appeals to one may not to another.