Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Editing Merry-go-round

Okay editing is not one of my strong points. I am too easily distracted. When I’m writing my first draft, I’m focused, nothing can drag me away from the computer when the words are flowing. So why, when I have all the words before and I know that they need work, a lot of work, can’t I sit still long enough to get the thing done?

I am also fighting the urge to start something new, yes; a new story has started to develop in my head. I should be making notes, but I know the minute I do that, I’ll start writing, I won’t be able to stop myself. I have no will power in that area. Maybe I need to join a ‘New Story Anonymous’ group or something. Arrrrrh, I hate this!

I’ve edited the same pages three times, Margie (see previous post) is doing my head in. I’m dreaming of power words. I don’t think my opening is strong enough even after the re-writes. I’m doing it all on hard copy hoping I will connect with the characters, that they will once again lead me in the right path. Something is missing and for the life of me, I can’t put my finger on it.

Okay, I’ve had a nice long bath and took some time to think. Here’s my decision. It I read each scene and make notes, like you would if you were plotting the novel from scratch, then I might work out what’s missing. It should also tell me if the conflict is strong enough for each character. You see, I think the conflictis there for the hero but maybe not so much the heroine, she needs work. Yes, that’s what I’ll do, it can’t hurt, and anything is better than going around on the merry-go-round I’m on at the moment.

Shall let you know how I go next week. Now I’m going to bed.
Happy Writing
Sandie

2 comments:

Jenn J McLeod - Australia's small town storyteller said...

Hey Sandie, I'm approachig my edits like polishing a car. Small sections, one at a time - polish, polish, buff - until it shines. Then pick the next section and do it again.

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Hi Sandie,
I'm having a few weeks break, so I tell myself. lol... All the best with your editing.

See you on the 19th, all going well.

Suz :)