Monday, January 7, 2008

My Dad

It's four years today since my dad passed away. I'm feeling it really hard this year, maybe because I haven't been well. You know there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about dad or my father-in-law (He's anniversary is on the 11th Feb, he'll be gone two years.)

So I chat to them ask them what they think of my latest writing, play some of their favourite CD's, you know; Bing Crosby, the Andrews Sisters, Slim Dusty just as well as I like them too. My dad was a pretty special man and he was my hero. He use to tell me he taught superman to fly and Tarzan how to swing through trees, and of course I believed him. Even got into a fight over that one.

Then the year the Signa ran ashore on Stockton beach, Dad was afternoon shift. The winds howled, banging the electricity box open and shut. The TV aerial broke and feel down on our roof, with a loud bang and my older sister and I lay in our beds scared stiff. But you know the moment Dad walked in the back door and we knew he was home everything just seemed to be okay. I mean as if he could hold the house up or something. But that was the trust we had in our Dad. He was and still is my hero. I love him and I miss him, but I know he is up there somewhere looking down on us.
Hugs
Sandie

6 comments:

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Hi Sandie,
I do hope you are feeling better. I'm back from a good break and almost ready to charge ahead. lol.

The Signa I believe is still rusting away. Were you in the Newcastle earthquake? I was working at Belmont at the time. We lost the whole shop, it was pretty scarey. I will never forget that day.

I lost my nan in 2000, and to this day I miss her terribly. She was the grandest lady that ever lived. :)

Get well soon,

Hugs Suz

Diane said...

Hi Sandie, I don't think it ever gets any easier. Not a day goes by that I don't want to ring my mum and tell her something. But it just shows how much we love them.

Sandie Hudson said...

Thanks girls. You know what I miss most? Is his laugh, Dad had a fantastic laugh.

Rachael Blair said...

Hi Sandie
Your post made me teary because it reminded me so much of how I feel about my Grandpa. He died almost two years ago (Feb 06) and I think about him ALWAYS... he meant more than my own dad to me and it's so painful to think we'll never see these special people again (in this life anyway). HUGS!!

Kim Smith said...

Hi Sandie!
We are friends on a few social groups like Ning.com.

I just wanted to say hello and tell you that you are not alone.

My folks are both gone now but they will never be forgotten. They are why I am a writer.

Hugs!
kim

AnneMarie Brear said...

I know how you feel. I lost my Mum over three years ago and the pain is still there and I miss her terribly. She supported my writing the most and sadly died before my first book was released, but she never doubted it wouldn't happen.

Side note - I've added your blog to my blog links, hope that's okay.

Take care.