Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Author Talk - Ari Harper


Today I have the pleasure of chatting with fellow Hunter Romance Writer  Ann B Harrison/Ari Harper.
Hi Ann/Ari and welcome to my blog.

Thanks for having me Sandie, I love visiting.
Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? ?

I swear I was born with a book in my hands and have never put it down. A lifelong love of reader has finally culminated in achieving my dream of writing...and publication.

I lives in the beautiful Hunter Valley with my own handsome hero of many years. I've always loved the ups and downs of life in small communities and I shares this with readers in my rural romances.

Strong sexy heroines with a good dash of sass thrown in feature in my stories, whether they are rural or young adult. Of course these women need an equally strong hero. Bring on the outback hero and watch the passion ignite.

When not writing I enjoys reading, gardening, walking my very large dog Hugo and fighting with my computer.

1.       You have a new release out, what is it about?

Changling is Book Two in the Curse of Kin series. In Book One, Witchling we watched Nera come into her powers and take of the family curse. In Changling we get to see where her best friend Sully fits into the picture. When they realise what he is and his fate, the race is on to save him.

2.      How did you come up with the idea for your novel?

Book one in this series is the first story I wrote. I never had plans on becoming a writer until the day I actually sat down and put pen to paper so to speak. It all began with a sentence running around in my head about a dream and wouldn't let go. After months of trying to push it away I finally gave in and started writing.

3.      Do you plot your novels or fly by the seat of your pants type of girl?

Definitely a fly by the seat of my pants type of person. But, now I've decided to attack a single title romance I have to do some plotting to make my word count. I'm finding that a bit of a challenge to tell you the truth.

4.      How long does it normally take you to write your first draft?

 Novellas 45k, around four weeks. Single title takes me about eight weeks.

5.      Who are your favourite authors?

I have way too many which is bad for my bank account. In romance I can't go past Nora Roberts/J D Robb, Paranormal, Deborah Harkness, YA I love Abbi Glines. And that is just this week. Next week I may discover someone different.

6.      You have had an offer from Hollywood to turn your novel into a movie, who would you have play the lead roles? Why?

IF and it's a big if, that ever happened I think I would like unknowns. I've seen what happens when an actor gets stereotyped, they can't get away from their character. I want mine to me themselves, not someone from Harry Potter.

7.      Who would like to direct it?

Angelina Jolie. She is so talented. Forget she has one of the worlds sexiest men as her partner, I only look at the talent.

  1. Can you give us a small extract from your novel?
          Sure.

"I am just so sick of having you in my face," I shot back. "I can't sleep, eat, or do anything without you there. From the moment I was born, you were with me. Maybe I just want some time to myself. Is that so hard to understand?"

Bones stared at me through my outburst and stormed from the room, his mouth set in an angry line and his fists clenched by his side. I watched him go, feeling the gaze on the back of my head accusing me of once again biting the hand that saved me. I sat quietly for awhile, collecting my thoughts. I knew I would have to be the one to apologize again. It was my mouth that got me into trouble. Again. Bones had done nothing wrong. He never did. It was just my sense of independence that was offended, not thinking I needed the shadow I had been given at birth.

I swung my feet over the edge of the couch, preparing to stand. The black spots appeared in front of my eyes and I swayed. I put my hand out to stop my father coming to help. "Stay here," I said getting to my feet.

I stood until I felt a little more stable and slowly made my way to the door. I grasped the wall and paused for a minute, then I made my way up the stairs to the workroom where I thought Bones would be.

At the open door, I paused and leaned on the frame for support. Bones was leaning on the workbench, his back to me. His shoulders and back were tense. I saw the minute that he sensed I was there. The subtle change in his stance was enough to alert me. Slowly he turned to me, opening his dark pain-filled eyes.

I trembled with what I saw, knowing I was the one responsible for the pain he was feeling. How many times in my life had I wished that I could take back what I said once it was out of my mouth?

He stepped toward me. I tried not to flinch as his face came barely inches from mine. "Didn't you say enough downstairs, Nera? Do you want another shot at me?" he asked in a very quiet voice. His gaze flickered over my face taking in the blush that I could feel creeping up to my hair line.

"N-n-no, no. I um, I came to apologize," I stammered.

He lifted his hand and ran his finger down my cheek. His gaze stayed on mine and I shivered under his touch. His free hand came up and cupped my other cheek as he touched his nose to mine.

My stomach plummeted to my toes and my mouth worked to talk, no sound coming out. Slowly, his lips brushed over mine, lightly touching and tasting. My eyes closed and my breath caught. My body was not doing what my brain ordered as my hands crept up and circled his back.

That was all the prodding he needed. His mouth crushed down on mine, the feeling knocking the breath out of me. As I responded, my mouth hungry for his, he pushed me away, breathing heavily and held me at arm's length. He was shaking his head, looking horrified at what we had done.

"Sorry, I'm so sorry," he mumbled before running from the room, leaving me standing against the wall.

I was gutted. I had let myself be pulled into his moment, only to be rejected. I did what any normal girl would do. I ran to my room, threw myself on the bed, and cried my heart out until there were no more tears left.

9.      Now the most important question. Where can we get a copy of your novel?


 
You can find Ann at any of the links below. Don’t forget to stop by and say “Hi”.





Thank you Ann/Ari for joining me today. All the best on your new release.

Sandie

3 comments:

S E Gilchrist said...

Oooh, I love this excerpt Ann. Having read a little more about you, I hang my head in shame at how long it take me to write a 45k novella! Wow! You are a machine. Congratulations on your latest release & good luck with the single title.

Kerrie Paterson said...

I'm a huge Nora Roberts fan as well :) And yes, I'm with SE - 8 weeks for a single title??! I take closer to 8 months!!

Lovely to read more about you Ann & Ari. Good luck with Changling.

Unknown said...

Thanks S E,when it flows it really does flow but also I have some really blank moments. You do very well.
Thanks for having me Sandie