Sunday, May 4, 2014

Author Talk ~ Bernadette Rowley


Today I have the pleasure of chatting with Bernadette Rowley.

Hi Bernadette and welcome to my blog.

      Thanks for the invitation, Sandie.


1.       Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Mother, Wife, Author, Veterinarian, Cricket Tragic, cat-lover, North Queenslander, ex-
Sunshine Coaster.

I have three sons who have defined me as a person and I’m so grateful to have been a part of their lives.

I write fantasy romance for Destiny Romance, Penguin Australia’s digital first imprint and have had a lifelong love affair with the fantasy genre.

My profession makes its appearance in my novels in odd ways, with shape-shifting heroes, gorgeous horses and heroines who can heal with their mind and touch.

I love living in Townsville and regional Queensland has awesome opportunities for writers.

2.      You have a new release out, what is it about?
 
My latest release is The Lady’s Choice which is the tale of Lady Benae Branasar and Squire Ramón Zorba, a secondary character from Princess Avenger.

Benae will sacrifice her ‘happily ever after’ for an arranged marriage with a powerful prince who will save her estates and her people. Or so she imagines. But can she turn her back on her feelings for the prince’s squire, Ramón Zorba? Ramón is a man Benae could easily love but he is obsessed with the prince’s daughter and at first tries hard to ignore the beautiful and fiery Benae. As they are drawn inexorably together, Benae and Ramón must choose between keeping their personal vows and being true to each other.

3.      How did you come up with the idea for your novel?

The premise of The Lady’s Choice was a springboard from Princess Avenger. I knew this had to be Ramón’s story- he demanded his time in the spotlight. And so I thought it would be fun if the prince advertised for a bride and one of the ladies who applied was mightily attracted to Ramón. It was also fun to write a beta male and see if he could be as sexy as an alpha. I think he is and readers seem to agree. Another challenge was writing a virgin hero.

4.      Do you plot your novels or fly by the seat of your pants type of girl?

I plot. I didn’t with Princess Avenger but I’ve evolved over time to plotting loosely and then letting specific scenes present themselves. I like to write the synopsis first once I know who my lead characters are and understand them. I then use the synopsis as a rough story outline which can flow and change as inspiration strikes. It’s incredible to have your synopsis already written when you finish your first draft instead of trying to condense your novel into a synopsis. This also prevents me from getting stuck for direction.

     5.    How long does it normally take you to write your first draft?

The first draft usually takes up to six months and my books are about 70 K words. I could do it quicker but I want to keep enjoying writing and I feel that if I flogged myself, I’d lose enthusiasm. I try to write 5 days a week and aim for a minimum for 1000 words.





6.      Who are your favourite authors?

My favourite romance authors are Marie Force and Sarah Mayberry. Marie writes incredible series- I do love a series- and Sarah’s stories are so fresh and moving, her characters funny and endearing.

My favourite fantasy authors are David Eddings, Raymond E. Feist and Robert Jordan. They all write fabulous epic fantasy series although sadly Robert has passed away.

7.      You have had an offer from Hollywood to turn your novel into a movie, who would you have play the lead roles? Why?
I had to answer this question a while back and had a hard time picking a leading man. I got
quite distracted doing the research and didn’t come up with a perfect fit for Ramón. The closest
was Liam Hemsworth. He has gorgeous blond looks, amazing blue eyes, is the right height and
has a great body.
For Benae, who is a beautiful, fiery brunette, perhaps someone like Megan Fox who definitely has the looks and the sex appeal for the role.

8.      Who would you like to direct it?

Again having done a little research, I think Jonathon Levine has the credentials to direct this movie. Levine understands true romance and has runs on the board in the paranormal genre. He seems to be making a career out of directing romance genre films and doing a great job- Warm Bodies, 50/50 and The Wackness.

9.      Can you give us a small extract from your novel?
Below, in the castle forecourt, two men argued.  She recognised the lieutenant who had welcomed her on her arrival earlier. Vorasava was tall, thin and dark with tilted eyes in a rakish face, but it was the other man who held her attention. He was immaculately turned out, his dark-blue tunic snug across shoulders and hips, his cream breeches accentuating the powerful muscles of his backside and thighs. Long blond hair was tied at his nape and he had an air of calm control. As he stabbed his hand towards the stables, the blond god’s blue, blue eyes found Benae’s and her heart stuttered. Oh my! Whatever he had been saying was lost, for the lieutenant also turned her way. Vorasava snapped a comment and strode off through the front gates.
           
The blond man broke eye contact and headed towards the castle entry. It was only then that Benae noticed the sword at his hip and the cat-like grace with which he walked. He was soon gone from view but it took Benae’s heart much longer to cease its pounding. There was something about the man that resonated with her, drew her, compelled her.

10.   Now the most important question. Where can we get a copy of your novel?

The Lady’s Choice is available at:

Thank you, Bernadette, for joining me today. All the best on your release.

Thanks for hosting me Sandie, it’s been fun xx

9 comments:

S E Gilchrist said...

Lovely learning more about you Bernadette, especially the veterinarian part. Your excerpt sounds wonderful and really shows the impact of the heroine's first sight of the hero. Congratulations on your latest release - Destiny do such lovely covers.

Bernadette Rowley said...

Thanks very much SE Gilchrist, I'm glad you enjoyed it xx

Unknown said...

I think animals add a lot to any story if they are intrinsic to the plot in some way. My love is dogs, and I'm writing a series of romance with dogs (not dogs falling in love!)My latest book, not released yet, looks at the hard side of being a vet. I sometimes wonder how you can be so brave so congratulations.

Unknown said...

Thanks for dropping by Suz and Margaret. I'm with you Margaret re: vets. We have horses so have a lot to do with our local vets.

Alison Stuart said...

Lovely interview... great to find out more about you and I loved the excerpt.
Just wondering how you came up with the amazing (and appropriate) character names?

Unknown said...

Great to find out about you. Feist and Jordan at the top of my favorite author list too! I never wanted the Crydee novels to end.

Write On.
JM

Unknown said...

Thanks Alison and J.M for stopping by and lending Bernadette your support.

Bernadette Rowley said...

Great to see Margaret, Alison and JM's comments. Margaret, it can be a hard life as a vet which is one reason I write. Alison, I often use Fantasy Names Generator site for help with names but I must confess Ramon started out as Ramond in Princess Avenger and I had to make his name a little sexier if he was to be a hero. JM, I never want any of my loved series to end. I'm a series junkie!
Thanks for hosting me Sandie, it was lovely to meet you and some of your readers xx

Unknown said...

Bernadette, I occasionally use the name generator in Scrivener for partials, then piece them together ;-) . I'm a series fan too, having a hard time putting my fingers to the keys on the last in my trilogy, almost heartbreaking on the writing end. (Yes I'm a sap. lol)

Keep up the great work.