Saturday, September 18, 2010

Shopping on Saturday

This was the first of my 'Shopping on Saturday' on my now defunct Historical blog.


Recently I took a workshop with Savvy Authors called 'From Farthingales to Flappers: What's in your Historical Heroine's Wardrobe', with Beth Daniels. It was all about finding the clothes for my historical heroines. Below is my shopping list from my first assignment. I had such a great time doing this workshop. 

NOTE: I had to make a guess at what things would cost.

Dressing a Duchess during Henry VIII period.

Shopping List:

Underwear ~

2pr Stockings - 50s
2 Chemises - 2p
2 Petticoats - 30p
1 Farthingale - 40p
1 Corset - 20s
1 Bumroll - 6p

Outer Clothes ~
1 Perlet - 1s
1 Kirtle - 1 pound
1 Gown - Velvet w/embroidered trim - 4 pound
Sleeves - Velvet w/sable fur - 1 pound
1 Stomacher - Velvet w/lace over - 2 pound

Day Dress ~
Satin Kirtle & sleeves - 1 pound
Bodice w/square neckline - 40p

Accessories ~

Shoes ~
1pr Gold embroidered slippers 4s
1pr Black satin slippers 2s

Hats ~
Velvet w/gold trim - 1s
Purse - 1.5d

Jewellery ~
Earrings - 2 pound
Bracelet - 50s
Carcanet - 5 pound
Ring - 8 pound

That concludes my first Historical shopping trip.

Sandie

1 comment:

Eleni Konstantine said...

Love the piccies Sandie. And fascinating how much was needed to look the part of duchess. While gorgeous looking outfits I love the flexibility of jeans and a tshirt! :)