Wednesday, January 7, 2009

An Interview With Suzanne Brandyn

I am joined today by Suzanne Brandyn whose first novel ‘Passion In Paradise’ is digital released today from The Wild Rose Press. Look out for the print format 21 February 2009.

Suzanne, thank you for taking the time to chat with us today, and congratulations on the release of your first novel. I have to ask, how are you feeling now you have your novel published?


I’m excited and a little nervous. I’m looking forward to the reviews.


Can you tell us a little about your novel?

Passion In Paradise was originally titled seven days. The first three chapters were entered in the RWAustralia Emerald Competition gaining a mark of 95%. I had to withdraw it as it was accepted for publication. I wanted to get two characters stranded on an island. It all took off from that single idea.

How long did you spend on writing your novel?

Oh now that’s a hard question. I wrote ‘Passion In Paradise’ in the National Novel Writing Month. But then a lot of edits followed to perfect little mistakes. :-)

In writing your novels, how do you decide what point of view to use?

This depends on which character has the most to lose but basically most of my manuscripts are 65% in the heroine’s POV.

Tell me a little about your writing process. How do you get yourself into the mood to write?

I really don’t get myself into the mood to write. I am in the mood to write. I think this stems from the desire to want to succeed, the desire to see my novels published and the desire to fulfill readers dreams.

Do the characters take on a life of their own? Or, do you direct where they go and what they do?

I basically have a general plot and a few subplots, but yes, my characters at times tend to do something I never planned. Usually when this happens it is such a great turning point and works out well.

Did you want to be a writer when you were growing up?

No, I wanted to be an airhostess. ;-)

What is your revision process like?

Once my manuscript is finalized I print it out. Then I read it through marking what needs to be changed. I pick up more discrepancies that way. I also read chapter for chapter aloud. This is a great way to pick up mistakes.

What are you working on now?

I have recently finished a category and currently I’m finalizing another.

What writers have influenced you?

I guess I could say Nora Roberts. But I admire most authors and their talent and ability to tell a good story.

What is your daily writing schedule like?

I try to write four days a week with an hour here or there. It depends on what I’m doing. I get up at seven, walk, attend to any domestic duties and by nine I am at my desk tapping away until five or five thirty. When I’m in my story I find that by five I have missed lunch and that’s not a good thing. Lol. But it continually happens.

Do you keep a journal?

Definitely. This is where everything in my life goes. I have done since 1994.

Do you have any bad writing habits?

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t. All writers have bad writing habits. I tend to be repetitive. This includes using the same word over and over. You know pet words. I am becoming more aware of repetitiveness. ;-)

Can you tell us something about yourself that we would never guess?

An accident brought me to writing. The first accident in 1994, I wrote short stories articles etc. I then regained my health and joined the workforce until another accident in 2004 brought me back to my writing. Now, I am too in love with what I do to ever consider doing anything else. :-)

Suzanne thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions. I wish you every success with your novel, I know I’m looking forward to reading it.


Thank you Sandie. Thank you for having me. It has been wonderful. A great new experience for me. :-)

Enjoy! ;-)


If you would like to purchase Suzanne’s novel ‘Passion In Paradise’ go here to The Wild Rose Press.

Sandie

20 comments:

Anna Campbell said...

Sandie and Suzanne, great interview! Really enjoyed it. Suzanne, congratulations on the release of Passion in Paradise!

Sharon Archer said...

Thanks for having Suzanne to visit, Sandy.
Suzanne, I was really interested to read how your story idea came from thinking about stranding two characters on an island. It's exciting to watch that seed of an idea blossom, isn't it!
Happy Release Date for Passion in Paradise!
:)
Sharon

Mon Wood said...

Great questions and interview, Sandie! I think it's wonderful to share the great news of another writer.

Suz, I love hearing about your writing process. Very interesting. I find it fascinating how you became a writer - amazing how things happen that push us along a different path.

Congrats on the new release. Stranded on an island sounds so sexy. Hmmm, who would you like to be stranded on a desert island with?! I think I know who!!!!!!!

Sandie Hudson said...

Thanks for dropping by ladies. I enjoyed the interview with Suzanne, like you Mon I love finding out how others came by their writing career.

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

I too enjoy finding about other writers and their journey. They say one door closes then another opens.

I am here all day, so I thought I'd make my first comment.

Oh, Passion In Paradise is number one on The Wild Rose Press site, under Novella's. Fingers crossed it stays there a while. :)Thanks for stopping by ladies.

Suzanne :)

Anonymous said...

Suzanne, how wonderful for you, owner of a personal release date. I’m hoping your new baby ‘Passion In Paradise’ makes new records and has many birthday anniversaries. I’m going to take a chance and buy my ‘Passion in Paradise’ copy today. It’s always risky trying a new author. I’m conservative. I don’t like naked people flopping on the table while I’m having my corn flakes. We’ll see (and you’ll hear.) ----- Congratulations, I’m proud of you. ----- Eric


Hi Sandie – Thank you.

Sandie Hudson said...

WOOHOO Suz, number one. Way to go.

LOL, Eric naked people while having corn flakes, hehehehe. I don't know there could be a story in that. Well a scene anyway. LOL.

Mon Wood said...

I love the naked people and cornflakes imagery, too!! Very funny.

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Thanks Eric, and everyone.
lol. You put a smile on my face. Admittedly they are naked when they make love, and she...is, lol. ho hum.. You'll find out when you read it. lol...

Naked people running around in your cornflakes bowl. Now that is a great way to start the day isn't it? teehee :)

Suz :)

Sussan Marz said...

Congratulations on the release of Passion in Paradise :-). I enjoyed the interview and will start reading the book over the weekend.

Rachael Johns said...

Hey Suz and Sandie
Suz - you know I'll be following you all around the blogs and cheering for the release of PiP!!!

Yay you!
Rach!

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Thank you everyone, and yes tar Rach :) You were one of the few who saw the birth of Passion In Paradise. hehehehe
Enjoy your read Sussan. At least I hope you do.:)

Serena said...

Well done, Suz! Thanks for interviewing Suz, Sandie. I love to read about writer's journeys and how they think up ideas for their books.

Hugs
Serena
xx

Tina C said...

Hey Suz and Hello Sandie

Well done Suz, can't wait to read it inprint - wahhhhhhoooooo!

And thanks Sandie for having Suz guest-blogg.

Happy Birthday Sandie!

Bye 4 now
Tina

Christina Phillips said...

Great interview, Sandie and Suz!!

Suz, you know how excited I am by the release of PIP!! And mega congrats on hitting the #1 spot already!


LOL on people flopping all over the table... ok I'm not going to comment further on that... but floppy... hehehehe!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Suzanne, wonderful interview! Did you have a specific island in mind, or one that inspired you when you were writing this?

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Hi Ladies,
Thank you for calling in. It is much appreciated.

Christina, floppy? Have you been drinking? lol lol...

Nan. I didn't have a particular island in mind. But after spending a few years diving around the Whitsunday Islands and the Great Barrier Reef I fell in love with all the islands. No single island inspired me, they all gave and give me inspiration. :)

Eleni Konstantine said...

Great interview Sandie and Suzanne!! Congrats on the release of your first book. Cyber bubbly your way.... :)

Sandie Hudson said...

Suzanne, let me know this afternoon that the lovely Monique Wood was the winner to recieve a of her novel 'Passion in Paradise'.
Congratulations Monique.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to visit and leave a comment for Suzanne.

Sandie

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Yes, thank everyone for popping by. It was lovely. I'm a little late as blogger would not allow me to comment anywhere. teehee It seems to be working properly now.

Suzanne :)