Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thursday's Thoughts


I think I am the reviewer from hell at the moment. I sure feel like I am. I wrote a review the other week on a novel that I found quite hard to read. It was long, a lot longer than I felt it needed to be that’s for sure. The dialogue stilted, and while the theme and plot intrigued me when I read the blurb, the story just didn’t carry the same vibe. Don’t get me wrong the story idea was good, it was just that there seemed to be more telling of the story.


Now I know people write reviews every day and if they don’t like a book or a novel they say so and go on to the next one. It’s all part of the reviewers life. To write what you think, honestly, say how you feel. Hmm… well, I did just that in the process hurt someone. I don’t know this person from Joe Blog, but I inadvertently hurt them anyway. To be honest when I wrote the review I didn’t think it was that bad, well harsh. Then yesterday afternoon I read it to my daughter, “Yep, a tad harsh Mum,” she said. Then this morning I went to the site where I have this review and someone said I needed to give more of a reason why I didn’t like the book. Maybe she is right, maybe I didn’t go into enough detail. But to tell you the truth I was worried I’d say something I really should not say.


So what am I babbling on about this for? To tell you the truth I have no idea. May be I just need to put down on paper that in future when I write a review, I’ll re-read it and make sure anything I say, will not hurt someone. I did point out in my reply this morning that this is only my opinion and that may this girl should read the novel herself as she may enjoy it more than I did.


Sandie

3 comments:

Catherine Bybee said...

Hi Sandie,

Funny how goggle directs you to where your name pops up. And when it does you find something in common with someone new.
I too write reviews and it is very difficult at times to talk about a book that didn't work for us. I actually let the numbers do most of the talking. If I rate a book 3/5 then the book didn't sit well with me. I'll tell the reader of the review that "This was good, or that was unique" But then I'll go on to say something like.. There wasn't enough romance... or the details of the time period over took the plot...

Honesty is very important in reviews, but you don't want to say anything that will come back to bite you. You know?

Nice meeting you.

Mon Wood said...

Good advice, Catherine.

Sandie, you're in a bind, aren't you? You have to be honest, yet tactful.

I guess as writers we need to learn to develop thick skins - some people won't like our work, even if others do. It's a tough job being a reviewer, as it is being a writer!

Hugs,
Mon

Sandie Hudson said...

Hey Catherine,
Thank you for stopping by, I knew there would come a time when I would not like a book and have to say so, but with this I think I am more upset with myself.

Mon, as always thanks for dropping by and your support you are a real sweetheart.

Hugs
Sandie