Tuesday, October 9, 2007

IT’S ALL SO CLEAR NOW


Okay, I now know why I’m having trouble getting my stories on paper. I’m stifling my characters. I’ve done the plot plan (which isn’t too bad), the storyboard (the problem) etc, but the flow just it’s there. I’m writing but there is something WRONG. I have come to the understanding that my characters want free rein. (Which shouldn’t surprise me, I mean I hate being told how to run MY life, so why should they). So the storyboard is OFF the wall, I was spending WAY TOO MUCH time looking to see where I was going with the story.

I came to this conclusion while reading another author’s blog Devon Gray, http://www.authordevongray.blogspot.com. You know how you have read it all before but sometimes it takes just one small sentence or even a word from someone and it all just makes sense. Well that’s how it was when I read Devon’s blog, plus the comment from fellow RWAustralia member and NaNoWriMo buddy RachelC
http://rachelcharlton.blogspot.com/ it all made sense. I just have to go with the flow, let my characters (my very bossy characters) have free rein.

So now I have three stories to work on, two for 70 Days of Writing Sweat, (Back To You and A young Girls’ Dream) and one for NaNoWriMo (Untitled at this stage) although I do have the theme etc worked out.)

Right now I have to go check on horses again (had a foal in with the wrong mare earlier, all sorted now but just need to check that they have settled.)

So bye for now.
Sandie

4 comments:

Devon Gray said...

Hi Sandie- It is so freeing when you just allow yourself to write the way that comes naturally to you. I had so many false starts on books and was never able to complete one until I allowed myself to write the scenes as they come to me and then weave them all together. This method causes my critique partner's head to explode- she is a die-hard plotter. Trying to outline a book gives me the cold sweats. In the end, however, we both have a book! Good luck with your writing!

Sandie Hudson said...

Thanks for your support Devon. It is so good to be able to sit down and write without looking up above my computer, my characters are a lot happier as well, theres no shutting them up at the moment, (which is a good thing). Thanks again
Sandie

Rachel.C said...

You are so right. You know something and yet you ignore it, then someone says something and it slaps you in the face. Thanks for dragging back from prograstination hell.
Rachel.C

Rachael Blair said...

Glad to hear you have it all sorted - good luck on all three projects!